Friday, October 2, 2009

we were young and learning.

Happy Street had lots of houses. Courage, Truth, Adventure, Love, Bravery, and Integrity all lived on Happy Street.

I lived in the white and brick house on Happy Street. Courage always played in the rain, watched the lightening on the back porch, and dared to go make an ice cream run on snowiest winter nights. When Adventure was exploring new frontiers and Bravery was off fighting an another epic battle Love and Truth were always home. Truth sometimes seemed abrasive, but I knew deep down inside that the other neighbors just misunderstood him. Love had a smooth pale complexion, the purest eyes, and the softest voice. I'll be honest, I've always been a little infatuated with Love. And Integrity, well Integrity, kind of embodied all of the other residents of Happy Street.

I suppose that living on Happy Street for nearly twenty one years kind of spoiled me to it's rarity and beauty, I never really meant to take it for granted...it's just that I thought everyone grew up on their own sort of Happy Street.

I grew up blissfully unaware that most people grew up on Sad Street. Residents of Sad Street had neighbors like Fear, Doubt, Hate, Predictable, and Dishonor...I can't really blame them, I guess I'd have been sad too if I lived on their street. I once heard a story that Doubt shot Fear's dog when it crossed the property line, I'm starting to believe that it was more than just a tall tale.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I wish I knew a Happy Street in Nashville.

If you know a Happy Street or are one please reply by mail to my Happy Street, and I mean mail-mail...because, well, everyone loves getting real mail. And I think my Happy Street would be delighted to share a cup of Joe with your Happy Street. But if you're a Sad Street or know one please don't tell them about my Happy Street; Dunkin isn't all that great about leash manners and I would hate for him to learn that not everyone operates like Happy Street residents.

Happy sometimes goes by Horace.

No comments: